Monday, November 4, 2013

The Joys Of Being In Charge


Dumela again as we welcome a brand new week!!!!
 
I hope everyone is doing okay and staying well!!!! All is well down in this hemisphere. A little rough but we all have rough patches!!!!
 
So this week was probably the craziest week I have ever had! For the first time ever I was the lead this week (I was in charge of everything) and it has been storming here daily! Im pretty sure its rainy season, so we go from no rain to legit storms! And since there are no buildings really you see the lightening soooo vivid and clear its crazy!! And of course storms always bring issues so lucky us, we were out of power off and on all week and our water got shut off again! The joys of Africa :) Since there was no power it of course gets super hot at night and me and the heat don't mix so well so Im pretty sure I was running on 40% all.week.long. And funny thing even other people could tell. We visited one member and we were suppose to teach about missionary work but when we got there he just talked and talked and talked about just all kinds of stuff and I was trying so hard to stay awake and then he just stops talking and was like "I think i'll stop because Sister Scott looks tired." I felt so bad but I really was so exhausted!
 
Being in charge this week however was definitely interesting. It was challenging but I definitely enjoyed it! I was able to see how much I have grown and I had to be able to handle all kinds of teaching situations and people which gave me more focus and I worked way harder. I felt the spirit so strong this week as I taught and then testified of the things we were teaching. I think my testimony grows every single day and I love it! Also this week was crazy because Africa and this country especially, they have a lot of deadly diseases that affect a lot of the children here and it kills lots of them. So the church sent a humanatarian couple here and they started a Measels campaign where all over the country, every clinic will be giving free vaccinations for Measels, Vitamin A, and Deworming. So the church put the members In charge which means us! Haha so we have t-shirts, hats, and flyers and we have been going around and knocking on every door and just informing the community about everything and trying to get parents to immunize their children! It has been really wonderful so far. We have just been walking hours and hours and we have to cover every house in our area so we were doing that along with teaching every day. Can you say tired? But it has been fun!
 
Other great stuff that happened was that one of the members (who we baptized in September) taught us how to make Magwinya! It is basically like a fried ball of dough but sweet and delicious! So we went there and we cooked over the fire in the brick kitchen. Definitely the traditional experience! Haha it was so much fun! Hopefully I will be able to put up pictures soon! We had so much fun!!!
 
On another note, things have been kind of hard in our area for the past few weeks. We have lost a lot of our people and a lot of people have been cancelling so we have been struggling. I found myself getting down and just really sad and so I decided to read my scriptures. I honestly can not express the happiness that comes to me when I read the Book of Mormon. I never really appreciated or read it before like I should have. But I can honestly say that nothing brings me the happiness and peace that I feel when I read now. I use to try to read maybe a chapter a day if that, and now I have to tell myself to stop reading after like 10 chapters! Its that good! No matter where you read, something in what you read will touch your heart. It will help even when you didn't know you were looking. I am reading now in Helaman and I read Helaman 5:12 and it just went to my heart like never before. I know that if we focus our lives on Christ and the gospel nothing will ever tear us down. We have to build our lives on a foundation that can withstand anything, and the gospel is that. I know it with all of my heart. I also know that if you read the Book of Mormon everyday you will get closer to God than by anything else. I have felt the change and I have seen the difference it has made and so I encourage everyone to do the same.
 
Anyway I love you all and I wish you all the best! Stay focused on the things that truly matter and build your life on a foundation that wont ever fall, which is Christ!!!
 
Until we meet again,
Sister Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment